- 3D images
- 3D printing
- Makerbot Mini
- McKamy Middle School
- Welcome to 3D Printing at POLSER Elementary
- 2D to 3D! - with free software
Getting Started (MakerBot Mini)
- Download: Download MakerWare Desktop –you must use Safari or Firefox http://www.makerbot.com/desktop
- Create an account for: Thingiverse - http://www.thingiverse.com
Have a generic username and password that you can share with your kids who have created files. You can also pick files form this location and just print. It is a good demonstration of a 3D printed object.
Read the MakerBot Reference Guide:
- https://mindtouch.makerbot.com/@api/deki/files/660/Mini_UM_v3.pdf This file will only open in FireFox.
- *Helpful video - initial setup https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfVNX7tReaQ
- The Mini takes PLA filament. Double-check the type of filament you purchased prior to loading it into your printer.
- After the physical setup of the printer is complete (see reference guide) for the MakerBot Replicator Mini:
- Turn on the MakerBot and the computer. (Plug into the laptop you loaded the software on and plug into an outlet.)
- You may be asked to update the firmware – follow the prompt in the software.
- Load filament (page 23 in Reference Guide). A mistake here is very expensive!! Watch the film. The hose that you feed the filament through has a black clip on it. The clip needs to be near the end of the hose. It takes a lot of force to move the clip up and down the hose.
For the first print, see page 18-19 of Reference Guide for step-by-step directions.