- 3D images
- 3D printing
- Makerbot Mini
- McKamy Middle School
- Welcome to 3D Printing at POLSER Elementary
- 2D to 3D! - with free software
Welcome to 3D Printing at POLSER Elementary
Rules you must know!
Anything can be "drawn" in 3D on a digital canvas, but not everything can be 3D printed.
15 X 15 hole Insert sizes:
Squares (starting on the left)
- 15 X 15 (will not fit at all)
- 15.8 X 15,8 (very tight, will not go into the whole all of the way)
- 15.6 X 15.6 (best fit)
- 15.4 X 15.4 (will fit with strong glue)
- 15.2 X 15,2 (the insert falls out easily)
Think about Orientation of the object before you start building it.
Another type of tolerance is used in 3D printing during the export. This tolerance is defined as the maximum distance between the original shape and the STL mesh you are exporting. We advise choosing 0.01 mm for a good export.
Rule of 45 degrees
A 3D printing overhang is any part of a print that extends outward, beyond the previous layer, without any direct support.
The maxim degree of overhang can't exceed 45 degrees with out support material. A simple solution for this object was to turn it
on the side to print it.
This is exactly the same file.
Printing an object where the bottom will not fully touch the surface of the print bed.
Object on the left did not touch the print bed fully because
The sides were curved upward. So far, 1 hour of cleaningwith a knife has been performed.
Object on the right had perfect contact with the print bed.Notice no cleaning will be required.
Problems linked to wall thickness are by far the most common reasons why some 3D models are not printable.
- The thicker the walls the longer it takes to print and the more it cost!
- Walls that are too thin make small parts on the model unable to be printed or very fragile and could break
- Walls that are too thick generate too much internal stress and could cause the item to crack or even break
- Wall Thickness. In 3D Printing, wall thickness refers to the distance between one surface of your model and the opposite sheer surface.
- 2mm to 3mm