- 3D images
- 3D printing
- Makerbot Mini
- McKamy Middle School
- McKamy 8th Grade Math - Directions for Tinkercad Lesson
- Welcome to 3D Printing at POLSER Elementary
- 2D to 3D! - with free software
McKamy Middle School
McKamy 8th Grade Math - Directions for Tinkercad Lesson
Tinkercad is used by designers, hobbyists, teachers, and kids, to make toys, prototypes, home decor, Minecraft models, jewelry – the list is truly endless!
- Parent permission is needed for elementary and middle school students. Have the parents create the user name and password, and sign this permission slip.
- This is a web based program. To help make the students successful make sure they have access to mice rather than a touch pad.
- Librarians who are new to Tinkercad my contact Jody Rentfro for assistance.
Steps for students:
- Turn in your permission slip to your teacher.
- Write down your username and password so you do not forget it.
- Click here - Tinkercad site
- Tinkercad shortcuts
- https://www.tinkercad.com/about/features (initial training video)
- All documents / screen shots / etc...
- Click on Learn on the top right of the webpage
- Remember, if you do not understand you can repeat the video as many times as you need to feel successful.
- Begin with the Key Ring, Letters! (10 minutes) - open a blank workplane
- Click on the Tinkercad icon to go to your recent designs. Select Create new key ring design with your name on it.
- Scale, Copy and Paste (10 minutes)
- Click on the Tinkercad icon to go to your recent designs. Select Create new design and repeat any shape 3 times. Make each shape a different size. Connect all of the shapes.
- Creating Holes (5 min.)
- Click on the Tinkercad icon to go to your recent designs. Select Create new design. Create a cylinder with a hole in it. (20 minutes)
- Learning Moves (3 min.)
- Click on the Tinkercad icon to go to your recent designs. Select Create new design and repeat the tutorial. Make a vessel that has handles.
- Die on the Workplane (3 min.)
- Click on the Tinkercad icon to go to your recent designs. Select Create new design and repeat the tutorial independently.
- Camera Controls (2 min.)
- Under the words "Camera Controls" click on tinkercad-support to gain access to 244 more advanced tutorials.
- Final Learning Project
- Project as outlined by Ms. Abernathy
When you share / save a file from the share button it will be a 2D image.
To share the 3D image with your teacher you need to export your project.
- Click on Export /select the .STL file format.
- Save the file to the desktop
- Rename the file to include you name as part of the title
- Upload the .STL file to Google Drive
- Share access to the file with Ms. Abernethy
- If this is your final group's submission please also share the file with Mrs. Rentfro. (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Once you export it, you may not open it unless you are in a software that supports 3D views.
- 3D Printing Class
- Student invents 3D printer for $200.00 (It will print your trashcan!)
- ? (Wall Street Journal)
- Master Tinkercad in 20 min. * (for people who have used a 3D rendering program before)
What might your future look like?
Reuters Article Feb. 3, 2017
Alwyn Scott/ Seattle